Saturday, May 17, 2008

It's My Birthday

It's my birthday today and I'm feeling sorry for myself.

I was looking forward to it, but after last week's not-so-great-Mother's Day (despite my sweet Hubby's best attempts to make it a nice day) I didn't set my expectations too high. I've learned that with two little kids you really can't make too many plans and you have to just go with the flow.

My little guy decided to give me the first "Happy Birthday" greeting of the day. At 1:00am. He kept moaning, writhing and crying until oh, about 2:25am. I changed his diaper, offered him some milk (and got a few good burps) but nothing seemed to keep him calm for more than 5 minutes. I finally gave him some Tylenol which seemed to do the trick so then I was kicking myself for not doing that sooner but I'm always hesitant to offer Tylenol since it's medicine and I don't want to give it to him unless he really needs it but when it seems to work after I have fiddled around for almost an hour trying other things I feel like an idiot.

I didn't want much for my birthday - just to maybe be able to sleep in a bit and work in the garden. I even knew I'd be doing the laundry as well, but that's OK - you can't take the whole weekend off birthday or not. Somehow things have gone off track, but what can you do.

Right now it's 2pm and I'm hiding out in the basement because my 3 year old is throwing a fit upstairs because she didn't like what I asked her to do. She is amazingly tenacious and has a powerful set of lungs - I know she is trying to wake her brother up from his nap just to show me who is boss... sigh... it's hard to believe that only 5 hours ago she smiled at me sweetly and said "Happy Birthday, Mommy!" and gave me the kind of hug that only a 3 year old can give. I'll try to focus on that the rest of the day.

No comments: